Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Muhammadu Buhari Thursday appointed Yusuf Magaji Bichi, as the new Director-General of the Department of Security Service (DSS). His appointment was contained in a statement by Buhari’s spokesperson, Garba Shehu on Thursday Bichi replaces Matthew Seiyeifa, who has been operating in acting capacity since Lawal Daura was sacked by the then Acting President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo.
2. Report has claimed that a meeting organized by the APC and the presidency to resolve the problem between Lagos Governor, Ambode and the National Leader of the party, Bola Tinubu hit a brick wall on Thursday as Tinubu who flew into Abuja for the meeting insisted that Ambode must be removed following several issues, including sidelining him and award of contracts to cronies.
3. The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has rejected the plan by a factional National chairman of the Labour Party, Abdulkadir Abdulsalam to adopt Olusegun Mimiko as the party’s presidential flag bearer for the 2019 general elections. Mr. Ayuba Wabba, NLC President stated this at a press conference on Thursday in Abuja. According to him, it is not possible for Mimiko to run under the Labour Party, as he has no business as a member of the party.
4. Southern and Middle Belt Leaders, on Thursday, rejected the appointment of Yusuf Magaji Bichi, as the new Director-General of the Department of Security Service, DSS by President Muhammadu Buhari. The group in a statement jointly signed by its leaders, Chief E.K Clark (South-South) Chief Ayo Adebanjo (South West), Chief John Nwodo (South East) and Dr. Bitrus Pogu (Middle Belt), said the new DSS DG does not come near the removed Acting DG, Matthew Seiyefa in terms of experience and qualifications. They also accused Buhari of being a complete sectional and tribalistic leader.
5. The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has fixed October 6 for its presidential primary. The party’s chairman in Enugu State, Stella Chukwuma confirmed that they have adopted direct primaries for nomination of its candidates for the 2019 general elections. Chukwuma noted that it was a collective decision of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) to adopt
6. Former Vice President and presidential aspirant in the 2019 general elections on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar, has raised the alarm over alleged threat to his life and those of his family members. In a petition to President Muhammadu Buhari, dated September 7, 2018, Atiku linked the alleged threat to his decision to contest the 2019 presidential election on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). Atiku alleged in the petition that his wife and daughters had received separate text messages from a mobile line, demanding that he (Atiku) drops his ambition, else they would be raped and killed.
7. A Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed October 8 to hear a suit asking it to sack the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, from office for not possessing a valid discharge certificate issued by the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC. The Chief Judge of the High Court, Justice Abdul Abdu-Kafarati, has assigned the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/712/2018, to Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu for expeditious hearing.
8. A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the Department of State Services (DSS) to pay the sum of N10.5 million as compensation to journalist, Jones Abiri, over his illegal detention for two years by the security agency. At the resumed hearing on Thursday, Justice Nnamdi Dimgba stated that the DSS acted outside the provisions of the law regarding the Terrorism Prevention Act.
9. A Federal High Court in Abuja, on Thursday, struck out a suit seeking an order stopping alleged attempts to reconvene the Senate without the authorisation of Dr. Bukola Saraki as the Senate President. Justice Nnamdi Dimgba struck out the suit instituted by two senators loyal to Saraki on the grounds of lack of diligent prosecution by the plaintiffs.
10. Over 1000 members of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Ajeromi Ifelodun Local Government Area of Lagos State, have dumped the party for the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. The defectors were received by the member representing Ajeromi/ Ifelodun Federal Constituency at the House of Representatives, Hon. Rita Odichimma Orji. She assured them of full integration into the activities of the PDP.